Home and Property Insurance

Protection for your home and everything in it.

Get a Quote

The coverage you need for your home, condo or cottage

Whether you rent or own, your home and belongings likely represent your most significant investments.

You need to be confident that your home and contents are fully covered by your insurance plan.

Why Home and Property Insurance Matters

Home and contents insurance for owners and renters helps you protect yourself and your family from the potentially devastating financial consequences of loss.

Our expert advisors take the time to learn about your property and belongings in order to create a unique insurance policy that is specific to your needs. We make sure you have a range of policy options to choose from, to help protect your home and property.

In the event you have a claim, we’ll be right by your side as your expert advisor, helping you through the claims process and explaining coverage specifics along the way.

Did you know? You could be eligible for discounts if you combine your property, automobile and marine insurance through Cowan.

Do you have a home-based business?

We will help you understand the additional coverage you may require and offer you coverage options, including liability, so that you can choose the best home business insurance to protect yourself and your clients.

Get a Quote

Why partner with Cowan Insurance Group?

Expert Advice

Someone who specializes in personal insurance will call you directly. Our expert advice means you will speak to the right person the first time.

Custom Coverage

Custom coverage specifically built for you means that Cowan will take the time to learn about your insurance needs.

Our Promise

Cowan is Canadian owned and independent. Your satisfaction is the only outcome we accept. Our clients are at the heart of everything we do and we care about what you care about.

Home Insurance FAQs

What does home insurance cover?


Home insurance policies cover a wide variety of potential damage to your home and personal property if the damage results from an insured loss. These policies also protect you against lawsuits for injury or property damage that you cause to others, which could include medical expenses in cases of injury. Depending on the circumstances and claim, your home insurance may cover:

  • Fire damage
  • Flooding or water damage
  • Vermin damage, including termites, raccoons, squirrels, and other rodents. Note: Vermin coverage may not be available from every insurance provider
  • Damage from extreme weather, such as storms or tornadoes
  • Structural damage due to falling trees
  • Damage and loss of personal property, such as jewelry and electronics, from theft or burglary
  • Repairs to appliances, such as furnaces and water heaters, caused by an insurable loss. Note: Standard repairs and maintenance are not covered by home insurance

Contact a Cowan broker today to ensure you have the proper coverage for your home.

What can I do to reduce my home insurance rates?


There are several actions that you can take to potentially reduce the cost of your home insurance, including:

  • Combining your home and automobile insurance
  • Proactively maintaining your home to avoid future claims, such as getting a new roof or upgrading your plumbing
  • Using a sump pump
  • Installing an alarm system or home security camera system
  • Increasing your policy deductible

For tailored advice on lowering the cost of your home insurance premiums, contact a Cowan broker.

When can I switch home insurance providers, and what happens if I do?


If you plan to switch home insurance providers and wish to avoid a penalty, you should do so during the renewal period. As with any contract, if you change home insurance providers mid-policy, you will owe your insurance company the earned premium for the time the policy was in effect, along with a cancellation fee to cover administration costs.

To switch providers smoothly without a penalty, notify your broker that you wish to change providers when your renewal date arrives so that they can manage the process for you.

Interested in switching home insurance providers? Contact a Cowan broker today to discuss your options.

Do I need home insurance for my rental property? Do my tenants?


If you own a rental property, you will need property insurance to cover potential damage or loss that occurs to the building, such as fire, flooding, damage from storms and extreme weather, and more. In addition, your tenants should have their own insurance policy to protect their personal property from theft, damage, or loss, as their belongings will not be covered under your property policy. Their policy may cover any damage they caused to your property that they may be legally responsible for.

Landlords and tenants can both enjoy peace of mind with home and personal property insurance from Cowan. Contact a broker today to ensure you’re protected.

How does remodelling affect my home insurance?


Before you start any renovations or remodelling projects on your house or condo, you should notify your broker. Depending on the extent of the renovations and who is performing the work, your insurance provider may need to amend your existing coverage. Your renovations may also alter the value of your home, which will affect your insurance.

Planning a home renovation project? Contact a Cowan broker to discuss how your plans will affect your insurance.

Do I need business insurance when working from home?


If you work from home as an employee, you will not require business insurance unless you run a home-based business. Note: Coverage for home daycares providing care for six or fewer children can be added to  home insurance, and will not require business insurance.

Not sure if your work situation requires business insurance? Contact a Cowan broker today to make sure you have the right coverage.

Do home insurance claims follow you?


A complete history of your home insurance claims will remain on your record for life, even if you switch insurance companies or move to a different home. Claims will likely affect your home insurance premiums for up to five years.

Contact a Cowan broker to learn more about how your claims history may affect your coverage and premiums.

Personal Vehicle Insurance

Protect yourself and your loved ones by purchasing auto insurance through Cowan. As an independent broker we work for you, and will find the best coverage to meet your needs.

Car Insurance

StorageShield Insurance for Contents in Storage

If it’s worth keeping and storing, it’s worth protecting with Storage unit insurance. Insuring your stored personal property is easy with Cowan and StorageShield™. Using our secure, online store you can easily get a quote and buy your policy in minutes with a few simple clicks.


Boats & Personal Watercraft Insurance

Cowan Insurance Group offers one of the largest, most comprehensive and well recognized boat and pleasure craft insurance programs in Canada, with coverage for boat owners in all Provinces.

Boats & Personal Watercraft