International presence exposes your company to heightened financial and political risk. Bombarded with news of political instability and global crisis, expansion opportunities in the rapidly developing global economy appear fraught with irrational and unpredictable risks.
Key political risks include:
- Expropriation, nationalization or discriminatory regulatory practices amounting to nationalization
- Inability to access an asset due to war, revolution, or civil strife
- Cancellation or non-renewal of import or export licenses
- Embargo or other import/export restrictions not in place prior to investment or contract
- Confiscation, seizure or inability to re-export equipment or inventory
- Non-payment by a Sovereign buyer
- Failure to honour a Sovereign guarantee
- Frustration of payment under Documentary Credits resulting in the rightful call of a bond or guarantee due to political events
- Kidnap, ransom, or extortion of personnel or their families
Political Risk Insurance mitigates key risks for international companies.