COVID-19 Income Replacement for Temporary Foreign Workers

Cowan Insurance Group continues to provide you with the support and answers you need as updates to legislation and regulations are announced.

We are in constant communication with our industry counterparts and the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA), and monitor changes to the Employment Standards Act and Legislated Leaves.

Temporary foreign workers income replacement during COVID-19 quarantines and diagnosis

Worker’s situation
My worker(s) is/are in a voluntary or mandatory quarantine but are not sick, or have not tested positive for COVID-19.

Contacts and claims
These workers may be eligible for the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or Employment Insurance (EI).

The workers are not sick/injured and therefore are not eligible for Short-Term Disability through Cowan.


Worker’s situation
My worker(s) has/have been involved in a COVID-19 outbreak at the workplace, and it is deemed a work-related incident or outbreak (two or more cases).

Contacts and claims
Your provincial Workers Compensation Insurance Board may be covering these claims. Check with them as your first point of contact.

Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety

Once on this page, scroll down to your applicable province’s website and visit their COVID-19 information pages.


Temporary foreign workers income replacement during COVID-19 quarantines, positive diagnosis, illness with symptoms and outbreaks

Worker’s situation
My worker(s) has/have tested positive for COVID-19, and this is not considered a workplace-related situation.


Workers Compensation Insurance Board have denied the claim(s).


My worker is feeling ill, showing symptoms of COVID-19 and has yet to be tested, or has been tested and is awaiting their test results.

Contacts and claims
Complete the following:

  1. Your Short-Term Disability Form (see chart below)
  2. Confirmation of Illness form (.PDF)
  3. Submit along with three to four weeks’ worth of pay-stub information to the Return to Health team at
Program Name Link to Short-Term Disability Claim Forms
·       F.E.R.M.E.

·       SAWP Mexico

Click here to download


Program Name Link to Short-Term Disability Claim Forms
·       Trinidad & Tobago SAWP

·       Jamaican Liaison Service

·       Eastern Caribbean Liaison Service

·       Guatemalan Health Care Plan (ComuGuate)

·       A.R.I.M.E.

·       Agricultural Worker Health Care Plan

Click here to download



For additional information, please contact Cowan Insurance Group at or call toll-free 1-866-912-6926.